Dedicated to those who needed that extra boost of faith and extra push from fear.

I still remembered the moment I received my SPM results. The journey back to school was long and arduous. There I was standing in line whilst listening to occasional cries of joy and screams of misery piercing the air. When I reached the table, my teacher pushed the slip into my hands, and I looked down, fearing the worst.

9 A1, 1 B3

I didn't know whether to be happy or sad. For a moment I leaned against the wall, wondering where my future would lie, wondering where I would end. Did this slip of paper in my hand really mean anything? I felt inferior, knowing there were many more who did better than me. But, I also felt bad for the many more who were not able to achieve a credible statement.

My parents wanted me to study law. They said that they know I was capable of making it to the top. They also said that the field of law is always filled with job opportunities and stability. My relatives had the same point of view.

I didn't.

I never knew exactly what I wanted to do. However, I knew what I didn't want to do.

I never liked business, nor law or accounting or IT or engineering. I like natural sciences and language as well as mass communication, but I didn't like them enough to justify them as my occupation. I knew I liked to know what happens in a person's mind.

So, I chose Psychology.

Mind you, it wasn't the option my parents were most supportive of. They were worried that people in this field were not able to get any jobs when they graduate. However, I made my decision. I chose my field of interest and I am very fortunate to be given the freedom to do so, knowing that there are youths who do not even have a choice when making tertiary educational choices.

It has been almost 2 and a half years since then.

I have learned so much from the many friends I have made over this period of time, but I have matured even more. I have been with them through great times and bad times, and the memories made are unforgetable. Most importantly, I found my true love, and my walk in life could have never been better than before. And I know now, that even before I came to know Him, He was with me. Always.

Passion.

Passion kept me going. And I know that it was very important to keep the fire burning. I want to thank my friends who were there when I was on the brink of breaking down, helping me up, encouraging me along.

I still do not know exactly what I want to do in the future. I do not know if I ever will. What I do know is that I have never regretted any decisions I have made. Because I know that without those choices made, I would have never been what I am today.

I have almost come to the midway point in my tertiary education, and I have come a far, far way. Tomorrow, I will be presenting for my very first psychology colloqium. Things might not be perfect, and the path to get here was very tough, but I have to agree that the experience during the journey was priceless.

But I'm loving every second of it.

Thanks to You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home